January 31, 2007

Graffiti: Right or Wrong

I was looking on the Internet at some graffiti artists and their stories (of course anonymous) but it was interesting to see what sort of things they had to go through to get their art across without getting paid or actually known. Graffiti is illegal in all senses because it is destruction to public property but some artists can turn an empty space into a beautiful work of art. I believe that graffiti is right in most cases but sometimes very wrong. I have heard about a few cases where a building has been spray painted and the manager actually painted around the art and left it there for people to see. In this case it is right because it allows freedom of expression and showcases art in an unusual way. However some spray paintings that are just scribbled on like curse words or so and so did this here is very wrong. If the artist is just doing this for shock value it should be illegal. That is My two cents on this medium.

No comments: